January 24, 2007

State of the Union address 2007!!

Last night I literally ran to the parking lot and rushed back home just to reach on time for the State of the Union address. I wanted to watch it right from the beginning and not miss a single minute. I reached home a couple of minutes late but luckily the president had not arrived by then. That's how I finally got to see Pres. George Bush's sixth State of the Union address. I wanted to watch it so badly not because I understand all about our government's domestic and international policies, but just because I wanted to watch this speech live on TV since a long time. I missed all 5 previous ones and this year I was determined to not miss it. I know it is not a big deal, one can always read the speech text later. I think I wanted to get a feel of this big annual ritual where the entire nation listens to the president speak, listens to all the promises that he makes for the year ahead and his remaining term. On the whole it was an interesting experience. I am not qualified enough to comment on the policies that he spoke about but this link below has an analysis and fact-checking of the state of union address: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6994676
The President's speech text can be found at this link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6970491

For me the most amazing part of the speech was the standing ovation. I thought the president gets such response a couple of times during this speech, but on the contrary, there was one every 4-5 minutes. That was just amazing. Well I am not sure if the audience really felt that way or it was just a part of the ritual.
The other nice thing about this speech was how the president started it by saying that he is the first president ever to start his address with 'Madam Speaker' as Rep. Nancy Pelosi is the first woman speaker of the house. That must have been a great moment for the speaker.

In all, I am glad that I finally watched the State of the Union address live on TV.

Site Meter